7 Easy Dietitian-Approved Recipes for Super Bowl Snacks
Super Bowl parties are not the time for carrot sticks and matcha……. But that doesn’t mean healthy eating has to go away completely. There are plenty of easy (and totally delicious) healthy recipes to put something new and fun and new and fun on top of classic pizzas and sliders. With that in mind, we reached out to renowned nutritionists and asked them to share their favorite Super Bowl recipes with us.
In this slideshow, you’ll find everything from fiber-rich vegan options to paleo recipes filled with salty meats. Too lazy to cook? There are packaged options that are also great for snacking.
Cauliflower Muffins, Serves 4
“This is one of those healthy Super Bowl foods – pizza – that has only a third of the calories of the traditional version. “It’s full of cancer-fighting lycopene from ketchup and boosts fiber and phytonutrients from cauliflower, mushrooms and spices,” says Nutrition Twins, Lyssie Lakatos, RDN, CDN, CDN, CFT and Tammy Lakatos Shames, RDN, CDN, CFT and author of “The Nutrition Twins Vegetable Treatment
Ingredients: 1 head of cauliflower
– 1 head cauliflower, chopped/grated (about 3 cups).
– 2 eggs.
– 3 tbsp. almond flour
– 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
– 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
– 1 cup tomato sauce.
– 3/4 cup light mozzarella
– 1/2 cup mushrooms (or vegetables of choice)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, add the cauliflower, egg, almond meal, Italian seasoning and black pepper and mix well.
3. drizzle oil over muffin tins to prevent sticking. Form a crust by placing 2 tablespoons of the cauliflower mixture in each muffin hole.
4. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until cooked through and crisp and browned around the edges. Remove the muffin tins from the oven.
5. Without removing the muffin crust from the muffin tin, spread 1 teaspoon of ketchup on each muffin crust and top with 1 tablespoon of cheese and vegetables.
6. Place back in oven until cheese is melted. Meanwhile, in a skillet or in the microwave, heat the remaining ketchup for dipping. Bring to a boil and place in a small bowl.
7. 7. When the cheese has melted, remove the pizza from the oven. Let cool for a few minutes, then gently remove the pizza from the oven.
8. warm and ready to serve!
Chickpea sauce-filled enchiladas for 8 people.
“This low-calorie twist on the calorie-dense jalapeo popcorn is sweet, creamy, crunchy and hits all the flavor notes, while packing a nutritional punch with polyphenols from sweet plums and omega-3 fatty acids from crunchy walnuts. Plus, these cookies contain protein and fiber, the magic combination that keeps blood sugar levels stable and prevents energy deficiencies from leading to cravings for other, less healthy Super Bowl treats,” says the nutrition twins.
– 1 can of overdue beans (chickpeas), drained of water
– 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
– 1 teaspoon pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
– 1/4 cup water.
– 1 lemon.
– 8 jalapenos, sliced in half, seeds removed
– Oil in the spray container
– 5-6 grape tomatoes, finely chopped
– 1/8 cup cheese.
– 5-6 California plums, finely chopped (we ate the extra plums).
– 2 teaspoons finely chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper. Lightly spray a baking sheet with oil.
3. 3. Place sliced jalapenos on parchment paper (or tin foil) and lightly spray with oil. Bake for 10 minutes. Then remove and place on parchment paper.
4. Meanwhile, while the jalapenos are cooking, add the beans, garlic, peppers, red peppers and water to a food processor and blend well. Cut the lemons in half and squeeze the juice from each half into a food processor.
5. Mix ingredients together until well blended.
6. Place the hummus in a Ziploc bag, pinch out a corner and use it to pour the hummus into the cooled jalapenos.
7. fill each jalapeo shell completely with hummus, then sprinkle prunes, tomatoes, walnuts and feta cheese on top! Enjoy!
Roasted cherry tomato salsa and chips, 8 servings
“I am excited to partner with HIPPEAS Organic Chickpea Snacks to launch their line of tortilla chips. I’ve created several recipes that are appropriate for the Super Bowl, but my favorite are these nachos and salsa. It tastes great, plus you get protein and fiber,” says celebrity chef and restaurateur Matthew Kenney.
Ingredients: 1 pint red cherry tomatoes.
– 1 pint red cherry tomato
– 1 pint yellow cherry tomatoes
– 1 Serrano pepper, seeded and diced
– 1/4 cup diced onion
– 1/2 cup chopped cilantro.
– 2 tablespoons neutral oil (canola, rapeseed, vegetable oil or grapeseed).
– Juice of 1 lime.
– 1 teaspoon salt
– A bag of tortilla chips.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. 2. Place tomatoes, Serrano peppers and onion in mixing bowl.
3. 3. Toss with oil and place on a baking sheet.
Cook until the tomato skins are blackened. 4.
5. Remove from the baking dish and let cool.
6. Place ingredients in a bowl and toss with salt, cilantro and lime juice.
7. Place the chips on a tray and heat in a 350 degree oven for 4-5 minutes. Top with salsa and anything else you crave (think cheese, avocado, guacamole, etc.). You can also add chopped shallots and cilantro for extra flavor.
Vegan no-fry cauliflower hot wings for 2-3 people.
“If you bring these cauliflower to a Super Bowl party, there’s a good chance they’ll be mistaken for meat!” This is a good example. Cauliflower is such a powerful vegetable that we could all eat more of it. So go ahead and surprise your friends with some delicious cauliflower for the Super Bowl. No matter what team you’re cheering for, this cauliflower is sure to get your party started,” says Kimberly Snyder, celebrity nutritionist and founder of My Solluna.
Ingredients: 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
– 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon pepper
– 1 teaspoon sea salt
– 1.5 cups warm water
– 3 teaspoons egg substitute
– 1 medium cauliflower head.
– 1/4 cup organic hot sauce
– 1 teaspoon coconut oil
– 2/3 cup shredded tofu
– 1/2 medium yellow onion
– 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
– 2 tbsp. minced garlic
– 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
– 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
– 2 teaspoons raw apple cider vinegar
– 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Wash the cauliflower and cut it into bite size. 3. Prepare the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Add water to the dry ingredients and stir until relatively free of lumps.
3. Have a cookie sheet lined with wax paper ready. Dip each cauliflower slice in the mixture and place on a cookie sheet.
4. cook for 30 minutes, flip and cook for another 10 minutes. 5. remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Toss the cauliflower slices in the hot sauce and coconut oil.
5. 5. Mix all the sauces in a food processor until well blended.
6. 6. serve cauliflower wings with carrots, celery and veggie gravy sauce.
Grilled black bean veggie burger, serving 4.
“These veggie pies are delicious on their own and can also be eaten wrapped in lettuce for added nutrition and reduced simple carbs. They’re a great healthy, fiber-rich alternative to traditional burgers,” says Kelly LeVeque, holistic nutritionist and author of the bestselling book, Body Love.
Ingredients: 1 tbsp. avocado oil
– 1 tablespoon avocado oil
– 1 tbsp. chili powder
– 1 tablespoon cumin powder
– 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
– 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
– 8 ounces of shiitake mushrooms.
– 1 carrot, roughly chopped
– 1 green pepper, roughly chopped
– 1/2 yellow onion, diced
– 2 cups canned black beans, drained of water, rinsed, or press-cooked dry
– 2 tablespoons unsweetened organic ketchup
– Half a cup of walnuts.
– 1/4 cup ground linen.
– 2 cups packed spinach.
– 1/4 cup watercress, or 2 flax eggs
– Leaf cups of lettuce, butter or red leaf lettuce, 9
– Ingredients and condiments of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a large bowl, whisk together the avocado oil, paprika, cumin powder, smoked paprika and garlic.3. Add the mushrooms, carrots, green peppers and onions and toss well.2. Spread the beans on a separate baking sheet and roast with the vegetables for 10 minutes, until the beans are a little dry (some will crack).
3. In a food processor, mix the roasted vegetables with the tomato sauce, walnut kernels, flaxseed and spinach. Be careful not to over-process; you’ll want to cut the vegetables into crumb-sized pieces.
4. In a large bowl, combine the baked beans, watercress and vegetable nuts and mix gently but thoroughly with your hands. Divide the mixture into 4 pie shapes.
5. fry the patties in a large saucepan over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side, until warm.
6. 6. Place each hamburger in two lettuce leaf cups and add toppings and condiments of your choice.
Mini tacos, for 4 people
“Not only are these rolls higher in protein than standard bread (up to 1 gram of protein per slice), but there are no artificial colors and preservatives on the ingredient list. They’re also gluten, grain and nut free and can meet many dietary needs and restrictions,” says Mary Ellen Phipps, registered dietitian.
– 1/2 pound steak.
– 2 limes.
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 avocado.
– 1/4 red onion.
– 1/2 jalapeo
– 1 clove of garlic
– 1 package of cheddar and parmesan cheese bruschetta
1. Make Brazi Bites according to package instructions.
2. mince the garlic and mix it with the skirt steak, salt and juice of 1.5 lemons. Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour.
3. remove the steaks from the refrigerator. 4. cover the pan with foil and sear the steaks for 3-5 minutes on each side. Cut the steak into slices.
4. Chop the red onion and jalapeo and combine with the diced avocado and juice of half a lime. Mash with a fork.
5. cut the bruschetta in half and add the steak and guacamole.
Mini avocado bacon patties, for 4 people.
“These snacks are a great low-carb snack, and the healthy fats in coconut oil and protein in bacon will give you a big boost, Pumpkins are high in fiber and an excellent source of vitamins and minerals,” says Shawn Wells, a registered dietitian.
Ingredients: 1 packet of pre-cut pumpkin.
– 1 package of pre-cut squash
– 1 packet of bacon
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/8 teaspoon pepper
– 1 tablespoon coconut oil
– 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Melt the coconut oil and drizzle it over the squash. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic salt and toss to coat.
2. 2. cut the bacon in half widthwise.
3. wrap each pumpkin in half a strip of bacon and place sealed side down on a foil-lined baking sheet.
4. bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then flip and bake for another 15 minutes.
5.5. Add toothpick and serve!